Friday, August 7, 2009

A morning at the hair make

We've been busy this week--a fun visit from Kate-o, some last-minute shopping, and now packing (packing?! already?!). Though I could have waited to get my hair cut after returning to the States, I decided to go ahead and have one more Japanese haircut, just because it's so interesting.

I've been to two "hair makes" in our neighborhood. One offers a more traditional salon-type experience, with dark lighting and fancy music. There, I had my hair cut by a friendly hip-hop sort of young fellow who had tons of tattoos and chains. He had spent some time in New Zealand, so had some English vocabulary. Between us, we were able to determine that I just wanted a trim. Today, I visited a cheaper shop and chose a shampoo and trim from the "menu." It was more of an assembly line place, with different people offering services (shampoo, cut, perm, color, etc.). There were things hanging from the ceiling that looked like they belonged in a dentist's office, but (thank goodness), they seemed to be blow dryers. I heard not a word of English there, and managed to communicate, again, that I just wanted a trim. The man who cut my hair asked a lot of questions (most of which I couldn't hear because it was a fairly noisy shop) and waved his hands around my head a lot, but it all turned out all right, and we were both pleased with the result. I wish I would have taken my camera to get a picture of the blond in the sea of black hair on the floor after it was swept to the corner (by yet another person).

Now, I like the hometown shop where our family gets haircuts. You get a good haircut there, for a good price, and you also get to catch up on the village news (which I'm really looking forward to). Japanese haircuts also have some nice elements. For example, you get your hair washed before AND after you have it cut, and there's a period of more cutting after it's blown dry. At the first place I went, I was first consulted (with some magazines) about what I wanted done, then my hair was washed and conditioned, cut, blown dry, cut again, and then washed and conditioned again. Today, my haircut ended with a brief head and neck massage, which was very enjoyable.

The only thing missing was the village gossip, though for all I know that's what all those things I couldn't understand were about.

On my way from the shop to the bike, I was given a fan from the "Happiness Realization Party," getting ready , I suppose, for the coming special election. Sounds nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment